Princess Chatter
May 26, 2017, 12:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To join Princess Chatter send a request to princesscruiser@gmail.com.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican coast Cruises  (Read 7250 times)
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

In general does anyone on the west coast know how the coastal trips have been selling? I'm guessing the ships might not be filled to capacity even since the violence has surfaced in Mexico lately.
Not that I'm planning on any Mexican trip in the near future but I was just wondering if they had reduced their pricing accordingly. If I were to fly to LA for a cruise I'd rather go to Hawaii than back to Mexico any day.
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »

Rich, I live between L.A. and San Diego and keep an eye on prices for Princess, Carnival and HAL and I don't see any evidence of price reductions or less-than-capacity sailings.  I think that when people who are concerned about the violence look into it, they realize that none of it is near the tourist areas.  The Caribbean has had more incidents involving tourists recently than Mexico. 
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:46:28 AM »

I realize that only a few blown up incidences are not going to change the market but I was just looking at a Mexican trip which we haven't done in many years & was just curious about how people perception & what the prices were doing. IF we were to fly to the west coast again (with a cruise in the trip) I think I'd rather go back to Hawaii.
We've done the Caribbean so many times we're getting bored with it. People get so excited about all the islands but once you're been there numerous they all begin to all look the same & other that the ship itself there's not much to get excited about.
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »

That's pretty much how I feel about the Mexican Riviera; but when you're a 30 minute drive from San Pedro, how can you refuse?  And for me, it's all about the ship and the sea anyway.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »

You must be a little bored with both Mexico & Alaska.... but now Hawaii I could never get bored with plus it give me all those days at sea which is great.  Cool
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »

I actually haven't been to Alaska since 1986.  I spent three consecutive seasons up there when I worked for Princess in the mid-70s and just really had enough of the place.  But it's been so long now I'm actually planning a cruise up there next year.  But I agree on Hawaii--I'm going to try and go every other year.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »

The only island I would repeatedly enjoy besides the Hawaii islands would be Bermuda which we used to cruise to at least twice a year when we lived in NJ & Md but since relocating to Fl there are no cruises there & now I'd have to fly back north to get a cruise to sail south.  Angry
Oh well, there might be Cuba in a few more years.  Roll Eyes
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:26:02 AM »

Well Rich, this certainly contradicts everything I said about the state of cruises to the Mexican Riviera; this is the first negative information I've seen--but when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Undecided

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/articles/2011/01/14/20110114carnival-cruise-lines-leaving-california.html
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »

Well it certainly doesn't look all that great for the people in the Mexican ports who depend on the tourists for a good part of their income. We've done the Mexican coast 2 times & although it's interesting, if I were to fly to the west coast I'd be looking at a cruise to Hawaii first since it costs the same to fly to LA either way. It appears to be more of a knee jerk reaction to the news reports more than the actual crime events so why take the chance? I blame the corrupt Mexican government for letting things getting out of hand to begin with and now the innocent people will suffer for it- as usual.
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »

You hit it on the head, Rich:  the local, state, and even federal police and judges are as bad as the drug cartels--anyone who tries to clean things up is eliminated.
Suzy Cruisy
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »

Well, I just booked the Feb 19 Sapphire sailing.  Smiley   I'm doing Mexico, again, because I wanted to sail on Princess in Feb and all the Caribbean ships are sold out for good cabins! (Or sold out period.)

The unrest in Mexico is really near the border, and it doesn't affect the actual port towns the cruises go to.  Unfortunately, the general public doesn't realize this.  The main reason ships are being re-deployed though is that the economy has really hit the Mexico / California itineraries the most as there are lots and lots of folks that live in the area and go over and over.  Its not the same as the Caribbean were folks think of it more of a 'destination'.  Us Californians that go on the Mexico cruises go because its easy, not because we actually want to go to Mexico.

It makes sense the Carnival Spirit is departing as Carnival is competing with itself (against its own Splendor from LA) for a limited number of passengers.  I also think the Splendor having the fire a few months ago REALLY slammed the image of Carnival on the West Coast and there are some that 'won't go on that Carnival cruise line' now.  The fire was an accident and I'm sure Princess couldn't have done much better with the situation, but the fact is it hurt the Carnival brand for sure.

Who wants to go on the Feb 19 sailing with me?  And yes, Fred, there is a reason I didn't post my cruise booking on FB yet.  Smiley

Suzy
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »

Suzy, did you hear that Disney has cancelled port calls at Mazatlan until further notice?  I'm going to the M.R. on Wonder in late February and just found out the itinerary has changed--2 days in Cabo San Lucas instead of Mazatlan.  It's probably because of a Canadian tourist (not a cruise passenger) that got caught in the cross-fire of a gang shooting in a tourist area.  I'll warn you ahead, there is a graphic picture in this news article:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Penticton+crossfire+Mazatlan+gangland+execution/4128645/story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3a+canwest%2fF229+(Vancouver+Sun+-+News

Have you heard anything of Princess passing up Mazatlan as well?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:21:38 PM by f-mattox » Logged
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

Lets not leave out Acapulco.  Shocked

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2011-01-26-mexicoviolence26_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
LBL
First Officer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »

Princess is not going to Mazatlan today. . . .who knows for how long.
Suzy Cruisy
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »

Yeah... besides on CC where did you hear the 'no Mazatlan' thing?  Its not changed on my official itinerary yet.  I want to know, do I get two Cabo days too?  I'd SOOOO love that.  Cabo is the only port of the three I give a hoot about!  Smiley

Suzy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: