Princess Chatter
November 21, 2017, 08:41:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To join Princess Chatter send a request to princesscruiser@gmail.com.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible smoking limitations being considered  (Read 11764 times)
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »

On the cruise critic bulletin board some posted a remark that they had heard from a steward that in Oct Princess would have a smoking ban. No other details other than what the steward had said, but it appears that Princess is about to do something to limit the problem.
Anyone have more info?Huh
nabs14
Staff Captain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »

VERY GOOD, MUCH APPRECIATED, POSSIBLY LESS OR NO SMOKING...
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »

The only problem is that this is only an unsubstantiated rumor at this time. I wish Princess would post something on their web site.  Cry
nabs14
Staff Captain

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

At this time I do realize "more controlled" on board smoking is only a rumor but one can only hope for more...  Where there is hope, there also can be change...   
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

At this time I do realize "more controlled" on board smoking is only a rumor but one can only hope for more...  Where there is hope, there also can be change...   

It looks like the CC thread was squashed.  They don't like anyone to bring up the subject of smoking... Grin It's to controversial & causes arguments and since they consider themselves civilized - it's taboo.   Roll Eyes
NSWP
Captain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »

I have never smoked.  Smoking is prohibited in ALL public areas in Australia, trains, train stations, airports (except for dedicated smoking room), aeroplanes, government building, buses, ferries, etc, etc.

I expect the USA/UK/Canada to be the same as Australia re smoking controls.

So a ship is a public place and difficult to control smoke inside.  OK I will be fair, give the smokers a designated smoking zone near the funnel, the diesel smoke can mix with the tobacco/cigar smoke and float gently into the stratosphere.  Brollies provided in the event of inclement weather! Roll Eyes

At least we can talk about it on here. Grin

CHEERS..Les from Batemans Bay, NSW, Australia

Princess Elite Cruiser, (460 days,) also cruised with Celebrity, P&O Australia and P&O UK, Carnival, Cunard and Sitmar.

Last Cruise:   March 2017 - QM2 - Sydney to HK - 18 nights.

Future Cruises:
May/June 2018 - Sapphire Princess - Scandinavia B2B with Sapphire - Baltic Heritage.  Total 21 nights.
June 2018 - Royal Princess - British Isles - 12 nights.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 05:13:40 AM »

I've got no problem with any of the designated areas for smoking on Princess except the balconies. This is one area where I feel shortchanged if I can't enjoy it because of constant smoke. We've been on some trips where we could hardly even go out there, even 3 or 4 in the morning without someone smoking. The only time it was completely smoke free was on port days and that wasn't a guarantee.

f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »

I agree completely with RichC; you can avoid the designated public smoking areas if it bothers you.  But if you have smokers in the cabin upwind from your balcony, there is nothing you can do but retreat to your cabin and shut the door.  This is not right.
LBL
First Officer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

I think smokers should be able to smoke. . .they too have paid for their cruise.  What I don't like is the density of smoke created by the disignated areas.   Why not ban cars with their output too.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »

I think smokers should be able to smoke. . .they too have paid for their cruise.  What I don't like is the density of smoke created by the disignated areas.   Why not ban cars with their output too.

So spreading it out solves the situation?  Roll Eyes
I'll give up my car when you do likewise.
LBL
First Officer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »

The car comment was just for the fact people are beathing bad air much more often then they care to admit and that too can affect their health.  As you know there are designated smoking areas on ships and people do complain about the amount of smoke around those areas.  If Princess chooses to stop people from smoking in the cabins, the balconies are outside and a smoker should be able to smoke in a cabin (or on a balcony) that has been paid for by them.  I am aware there will always be people who abuse any inch they are given. . .smoker or non-smoker.  Don't forget there are cruise lines that do limit it and those are available to people who don't like balcony smokers.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:58:13 AM »

The car comment was just for the fact people are beathing bad air much more often then they care to admit and that too can affect their health.  As you know there are designated smoking areas on ships and people do complain about the amount of smoke around those areas.  If Princess chooses to stop people from smoking in the cabins, the balconies are outside and a smoker should be able to smoke in a cabin (or on a balcony) that has been paid for by them.  I am aware there will always be people who abuse any inch they are given. . .smoker or non-smoker.  Don't forget there are cruise lines that do limit it and those are available to people who don't like balcony smokers.

Not to confrontational about the subject but one person smoking on a balcony can ruin it for many others in the general area. How is that being fair to those around them? Also if a smoker in a room leaves behind a smell of stale smoke that sometimes cannot be cleaned so quickly so is it fair to anyone who has to move into that room to have to live with it? Most of us can live with the smoking areas that they designate & avoid them but when the smoke invades my balcony space it becomes a problem for me alone and something I choose not to have.
That being said, it looks like the original comment about Princess was just another rumor so you should be safe....for a while.  Wink
btw- Driving in a car for most of us is a necessary evil while smoking is not.
LBL
First Officer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »

I can understand why the other board may not want this kind of "discussion."
Host Mike
Administrator
Commodore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »

Carnival tried 100% no smoking ships and it was a failure.  I have never been assigned a cabin that smelled of smoke.  When I smell smoke on my balcony I just come inside.   Problem solved.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

Carnival tried 100% no smoking ships and it was a failure.  I have never been assigned a cabin that smelled of smoke.  When I smell smoke on my balcony I just come inside.   Problem solved.

It was the only ship with no smoking restrictions at the time. One could only wonder how it would work out today. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't able to cruise due to family matters, but I definitely would have given it a try. 
You say that you just go inside when you smell smoke but we've been on trips (6 moths ago) that no matter when I went outside- 1,2,3 4 AM or 10 AM someone was smoking. It really doesn't feel that great to have paid for extra for the balcony & only be able to use it between smokers when you can catch a break.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: