Author Topic: Carnival owned cruise ship Costa Concordia runs aground off Italy  (Read 356073 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
Re: Carnival owned cruise ship Costa Concordia runs aground off Italy
« Reply #390 on: February 10, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »
"Italian prosecutors broadened the inquiry into the Costa Concordia disaster on Thursday, announcing that they will investigate alleged failings by the cruise ship's owners.

Prosecutors accused the Genoa-based firm of failing to order the ship's captain to sound a general alarm when the 950ft-long cruise liner started taking on water after smashing into a rocky reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio in January last year.

The investigators, based in Grosseto in Tuscany, also said emergency procedures were not followed properly during the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew.

In addition, they accused Costa Cruises of "playing down" the full extent of the damage done to the ship when it rammed into the rocky shoal, ripping a 140ft-long gash in its hull.

The company has insisted that it was misled as to the gravity of the situation by the ship's Italian captain, Francesco Schettino, who initially reported that the vessel had simply undergone a power failure and made no mention of the collision."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9824982/Costa-Concordia-owners-accused-of-playing-down-extent-of-catastrophe.html

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #391 on: February 10, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
"One year after the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia wreckage, victims' relatives watched as a crane lowered part of a rock that was removed from the hull of the ship into the water.

Two Effer marine cranes 200000 on the Voe Earl platform have been nearby the shores of the Giglio island, Tuscany, for months for the removal of the shipwrecks. The cranes put the rock into the sea during the one-year anniversary ceremony. The rock had been torn from the ship during the collision and remained stuck in the hull for almost one year."

http://www.cranestodaymagazine.com/news/crane-replaces-rock-that-hit-costa-concordia-cruise-ship-070213/

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
"A year after the disaster that killed 32 people, she told for the first time how it left her “destitute” and unable to mentally process the events, only crying for the first time this month. Ms Metcalf, who worked on the liner as part of a dance troupe, is among the Londoners fighting for compensation from the ship’s owner, Costa Cruises.

The 112,000-ton vessel awaits salvage off the Italian island of Giglio, where it ran aground with 4,229 people on board, including more than 1,000 crew. Ms Metcalf was praised after taking responsibility for roll call on her deck and ensuring that about 200 crew were evacuated onto lifeboats. She was one of the last people winched to safety.

She told how she had been drinking coffee in the bar on her evening off when the ship struck rocks at 9.42pm: “There was a horrific ripping sound, like an earthquake, and we were all thrown back.  Everything was shaking and the glasses were flying off.

“Nobody really knew what to do. They told us it was an electrical fault.” The lights went out five minutes later. Then the 955ft long vessel began toppling over. Ms Metcalf dashed to her cabin, changing from her silk cocktail dress into jeans and trainers.

She said: “There was no higher level of crew that made it to the muster station who were capable of taking command, they were panicking. The way I’ve been brought up I couldn’t just abandon my responsibilities.

"We had some passengers who tried to jump off in panic and we had to haul their legs back from the edge.”

One friend was left paralysed after being crushed after running down a corridor to escape gushing water.

“People went to the mortuary and were chucking coffins out, and using them to float because the lifejackets were locked in trunks,” Ms Metcalf added. “There were lots of explosion sounds inside the ship and gas bubbling in the water that filled the cabins.”

As the vessel toppled further, she used rock-climbing skills learned as a  teenager to clamber up surfaces: “The wall became our floor, the doorways became lift shafts”.

The dancer, three Indonesian crew and a Bulgarian plumber hauled themselves on to a higher part of the ship. Pointing at her watch, she told how she and the plumber used it to calculate how quickly the ship was sinking: “If we’d have jumped into the water we would have broken our bones from the metal underneath,” she said.

“I stayed on until I knew everyone I was responsible for was safe, but then I was stranded. I was trying to find every option how I could get off, then when I realised there wasn’t a way, I had a strange serenity and peace.

“I summarised my life, wrote a note to my parents and accepted I might not make it.” It was then that she posted the Facebook photo, using a phone belonging to one of the Indonesians. At 5am she was finally winched to safety.

She said: “I feel very sad for those families who haven’t been able to put to rest the remains of their loved ones. I haven’t coped with it for a year. I was destitute when I got off the ship. I lost everything, £13,000 worth of things, including all my dance equipment.”

Ms Metcalf became a legal firm’s “advocate for ship safety” travelling the world meeting disaster victims, and is working on the sales floor in Harrods. She married husband Robert, 42, just before Christmas.

“Initially when I came back I was running on the adrenalin of wanting to get the information out there. It’s an accident that could have been prevented,” she said. “It completely ruins your life. I met the family of a helicopter crash in Peru and that night I broke down hysterically crying, which I haven’t done for a year. I need to see a psychologist and just want to get back to dancing.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/dancer-who-survived-costa-concordia-disaster-reveals-desperate-bid-to-survive--one-year-on-from-tragedy-8464413.html

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #393 on: February 25, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
"ROME -- (AP) – Italian prosecutors on Monday officially requested an indictment of the Costa Concordia’s captain on manslaughter charges in the shipwreck of the cruise liner that killed 32 people last year off the Tuscan coast.

Prosecutors based in Grosseto, Tuscany, also are seeking a trial for Francesco Schettino, the captain of the cruise liner, on charges of causing a shipwreck and abandoning the vessel during the frantic and confused evacuation of passengers and crew."

"Prosecutors also said Costa Crociere SpA, the Italian cruise company, has asked for a plea bargain agreement which, if it was accepted, could see Costa pay a 1 million euro ($1.35 million) fine. The company has said Schettino ignored its policies and is to blame for the shipwreck."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/25/3253461/prosecutor-seeks-trial-for-costa.html

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
"The prosecutors reiterated claims that Capt Schettino was distracted in the minutes before the collision by the presence on the bridge of a Domnica Cemortan, a Moldovan ex-dancer.

Her presence, as well as that of the ship's head waiter, led to "confusion and distraction" on the bridge
as Capt Schettino attempted to execute a salute of Giglio by sailing perilously close to its rocky shore."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9909564/Tragedy-and-heroism-as-final-moments-of-Costa-Concordia-victims-are-revealed.html

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #395 on: March 10, 2013, 01:21:50 AM »
"ROME -- Italy's caretaker government has authorized authorities to move the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship to the nearest port, Piombino in Tuscany, to be disassembled.

Tuscan President Enrico Rossi welcomed Friday's decision, saying Piombino is the most economical and environmentally sound choice because of its proximity.

However, a center-left lawmaker said the choice could delay the removal of the wreck until next year because of needed port upgrades."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/08/costa-concordia-wreck_n_2838804.html

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #396 on: March 10, 2013, 01:25:57 AM »
"A five-year-old girl and her father died after they were turned away from a lifeboat when the Costa Concordia cruise ship hit a rock and started sinking, according to new documents.

The dossier revealed on Tuesday reported on their last moments, as well as other victims of the tragedy, documenting acts of heroism as well as gross negligence, according to the Daily Express.

The papers show how Williams Arlotti and his five-year-old daughter, Dayana, died because they could not find a place in a lifeboat on the port side.

When they went in search of a place on the other side, the ship rolled over and they drowned.

The file explains their final moments, saying they died because "having not found places in a lifeboat on deck four on the port side, they were directed by members of the crew to the starboard side and, while negotiating the interior of the ship, they fell into an abyss, which was created as the starboard side of the ship overturned", reports the Daily Telegraph.

They fell into a flooded area of deck four, where they drowned."

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/03/06/girl-five-turned-away-from-lifeboat-costa-concordia-cruise-ship-tragedy/

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #398 on: March 14, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
"Plaintiff's counsel Marc Jay Bern cited the Court's closing statements in celebrating this great victory for the plaintiffs: "As the District Court recognized, 'this case is about international and U.S. passengers injured on a pleasure cruise run by a private corporation and whether that corporation properly adhered to safety standards or was other negligent.' We are thrilled that we can now turn our attention to litigating the facts of this case before a Florida State court where the plaintiffs can expect their interests will be protected rather than in Italy where the courts are notoriously slow and cases for mass torts such as shipwrecks have taken as long as thirty years without final decisions. Additionally passengers litigating their claims in Italy would be subject to paying for litigation costs and under the American system, plaintiffs' law firms only seek compensation if their clients are successful. Thus the Florida state courts provide our clients the promise of a remedy not available in Italy."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/costa-concordia-victims-have-jurisdiction-victory-in-florida-2013-02-26

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
"ROME (AP) — A judge in Tuscany fined Italian cruise line Costa Crociere SpA 1 million euros ($1.3 million) Wednesday for the 2012 shipwreck of the Concordia cruise ship that killed 32 people.

Costa had asked for a plea bargain deal to respond to the administrative sanctions, which under Italian law are for companies whose employees commit crimes. Judge Valeria Montesarchio of the Grosseto tribunal accepted the plea after a hearing."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i6t--OobzUpqMS4YYW_B17-DE0kQ?docId=76d066e488f4427fa705a6d9b6456457

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
"Critics have hit out at the cruise line's ability to distance itself from culpability, especially as its marine operations director, Roberto Ferrarini, is among the six suspects who could stand trial over the accident."

"A report into Mr Ferrarini's role in the accident condemned him and said he seemed "not to have the pulse of the conditions of the ship" after the accident occurred.

The report also said he should have told the captain to abandon ship as soon as he heard that three sections of the vessel were flooded."

However, both Mr Ferrarini and the company have blamed Captain Schettino and the crew for not fully informing them of the conditions on board.

There are six people who could stand trial for charges including manslaughter, but the final stages to decide who will be indicted will not begin until Monday.

Despite the relatively small fine from the courts, Costa is expected to pay out much more in civil cases.

The family of five-year-old Dayana Arlotti - the youngest victim from the ship - reportedly received a seven-figure payout last July from Costa.

Survivors of the accident have been offered a basic compensation payment of €11,000, but Codacons a national consumer group leading a class action against the cruise company, has advised them to reject the offer.

It believes they should be paid at least €125,000 each due to the possibility of psychological trauma."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2307034/Costa-Concordia-cruise-line-fined-850-000-accident-killed-32.html

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #401 on: April 15, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »
Grosseto - The deadly Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster returns to court in Italy on Monday with the start of a long series of indictment hearings against six suspects including captain Francesco Schettino.

Among the five crew members accused by prosecutors is the luxury liner's Indonesian helmsman Jacob Rusli Bin, suspected of contributing to the tragedy by misunderstanding a command moments before the crash

Thirty-two people lost their lives in the accident, including a 5-year-old girl.

Rusli Bin's whereabouts are not known but he has been assigned a lawyer and the accusations against him will be heard in absentia.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/Cruise-disaster-pre-trial-hearing-in-court-20130415

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #402 on: May 16, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
"FIVE suspects in the Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster asked for plea bargains, which could leave only captain Francesco Schettino facing trial.

The five include Roberto Ferrarini, the director of ship owner Costa Crociere's crisis unit, and Jacob Rusli Bin, the luxury liner's Indonesian helmsman, as well as three other crew members.

Captain Schettino's lawyers also asked for a plea bargain but the request was immediately turned down by the prosecutor's office, leaving only five plea bargain requests before the pre-trial judge.

The requests came during indictment hearings in Grosseto, the city closest to the January 2012 tragedy in which 32 people died, and a judge is only expected to rule when they wrap up in July.

"This is double standards. Schettino at this point risks being the only person on trial,'' the captain's lawyer, Francesco Pepe, told reporters in Grosseto, Italian media reported."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/cruise-captain-francesco-schettino-at-sea-as-five-request-pleas/story-e6frg8ro-1226642604877

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #403 on: May 19, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
"ROME, May 18 (UPI) -- Italian cruise company Costa Crociere board members are under investigation, lawyers for passengers on the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship said.

Attorneys for Justice for Concordia said Saturday the investigation involves allegations of collusion in the 2012 grounding of the ship, which killed 32 people.

Prosecutors confirmed the investigation but told Italy's ANSA news agency the probe was "an obligatory move."

ANSA said investigators were looking at five individuals who were on the board at the time of the shipwreck. The investigation is in addition to the investigation into the Costa Concordia's captain and crew members.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/05/18/Costa-Concordia-probe-eyes-board-members/UPI-85581368893903/

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #404 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
"Todd Busch, who is overseeing the removal of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, explains to host Dick Gordon how the vessel is expected to be towed away by December this year."

http://www.thestory.org/stories/towing-away-costa-concordia-cruise-ship-5142013