Princess Chatter
September 25, 2018, 08:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To join Princess Chatter send a request to princesscruiser@gmail.com.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emerald Princess Observations from April 2013  (Read 2173 times)
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »

Some Observations on the Emerald Princess - April 6 to April 26, 2013

We've been on the Emerald six previous times over the years and selected this ship again because of the convenience to our home port and more importantly one of the few Princess ships that still offer cruise longer than 7 days. The 10 day trips still offer the longer cruises although doing a B2B still means returning to Ft Lauderdale in the middle of the trip to go through Immigrations and Customs. Although I understand the reasoning to do so but in past years the group always went through at around 9:15 AM so we could always have the rest of the morning to do as we pleased. They've now scheduled the group to meet at 11:30 AM which means changing out of a bathing suit mid day. Bummer.  Angry  Of course you could have left the ship earlier on you own if you wished but would have to wait till the rest of new people were boarding till you could re-board. I wonder it this was a Princess decision to schedule it for that time?

We've always found the food to be acceptable on Princess but in comparison to previous years & other ships it seems to have slipped a little for my taste. It's little things that seemed to be irritating that I've not experienced in prior Princess cruises that added to a less enjoyable trip. This is not to say that the food overall was bad or unacceptable by any means. I suppose this could only be attributed to the cook staff on the ship at the time. Notable meals that didn't live up to expectations were under cooked lamb chops from the dining room, and undercooked corned beef at the buffet one afternoon, and on two different occasions both myself & my wife ordered the fettuccine Alfredo which were nothing more than noodles with butter poured on them. (The cheese basket machine was broken) I suppose they just lost the recipe for fettuccine Alfredo but I can do a better job at home. Another downfall in the galley which might not be upsetting to some is the over use of Indian spices on many dishes almost every day in the Horizon. One of the cooks was Indian & he must have had input to how the dishes were prepared. It was impossible to tell even from reading the signs which items would have curry added. Sometimes I went though the buffet line only to through away plates of uneatable things just to sample them. This was not the case in past years or other ships.

The production shows were typical Princess – no better or worse than any others we've seen. We're getting burned out from seeing the same old shows so that might be the reason we don't get as excited as we once did.
Princess advertising their product got to the point of being inescapable. The new ship being introduced this year is being pushed HARD. They show a 12 to 15 minute clip on the screen before every movie that gets irritating after a while especially after seeing it 10 times over. They're even showing a 5 minute clip at the repeaters party. It's the last party for us unless we're among the top three. I was waiting for a movie clip to begin at the Captains over 40 cocktail party !  Shocked

One improvement they made at Princess Cays is the reintroduction of free lounge chairs to the right of the docking area. They have been removing the free chairs slowly over the years & forcing people go to the left of the docking area. This is the area that once had all the clam shell chairs for rent. They've spread out the clam shells further down the beach where there were no chairs previously as well as to the left of the docking area & back filled with additional free lounges. We prefer the area to the right from the dock since it's definitely much quieter although the swimming area does have more rocks to avoid.  People who sit to the left of the dock might not like the fact that there are now clam shells located at the beach edge which block the views.  Cry

Even with all of these negatives, no doubt we'll most likely be sailing on the Emerald once again next fall since the longer cruises seem to be limited to that ship and we don't like flying if at all avoidable. Hopefully some of these minor irritations will have worked through the system by then.  Wink

Host Mike
Administrator
Commodore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »

Thanks for posting your clearly written observations.  I hope others will share there recent Princess experiences.

Host Mike
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:07:32 AM »

So do I.....this board is underutilized from what it could be.  Wink
You post lots of good information daily from many sources.
Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: