Princess Chatter
August 18, 2017, 02:59:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To join Princess Chatter send a request to princesscruiser@gmail.com.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Claim of air pollution levels on cruise ships is in dispute  (Read 479 times)
Host Mike
Administrator
Commodore

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »

"Passengers on a cruise ship could be inhaling “60 times higher concentrations of harmful air pollutants ” than they would in natural air settings, Naturschutzbund Deutschland (NABU), a German environmental association, has warned."

"He warned that the latest results are most likely indicative of the poor air quality on nearly all cruise ships."

"But Helge Grammerstorf, the German national director of the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) and a former ship captain and ship broker, denied the validity of the measurements, arguing that a more systematic test over a longer period of time is required rather than the recent selective sample of measurements taken.

“We don't know these measurements. The claim is completely unsubstantiated,” he told Hamburger Abendblatt, a German daily newspaper."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/air-pollution-levels-200-times-higher-on-cruise-ships/
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »

Maybe it's those aft cabins that get most of the pollution. I never smell anything mid ship.
obendus
Watch Captain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »

Maybe it's those aft cabins that get most of the pollution. I never smell anything mid ship.
Oh,  please don't tell me that. We have booked an aft cabin for a summer cruise in 2018.
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:35:27 AM »

Oh,  please don't tell me that. We have booked an aft cabin for a summer cruise in 2018.

I almost always book aft cabins and only once had a problem with smells or pollution and that was the soot problem on Royal Princess.  I would not book an aft cabin on any Royal class ship.  Actually I would not book any cabin on any Royal class ship. 
obendus
Watch Captain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:54:17 AM »

I almost always book aft cabins and only once had a problem with smells or pollution and that was the soot problem on Royal Princess.  I would not book an aft cabin on any Royal class ship.  Actually I would not book any cabin on any Royal class ship. 

That's encouraging... The ship is the CB. The DW and I have yet to sail on any of Princess' 'royal' class ships.
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »

That's encouraging... The ship is the CB. The DW and I have yet to sail on any of Princess' 'royal' class ships.

Originally I disliked the Royal class ships but have come to appreciate the better things they offer. Yes, there are some drawbacks which I still haven't become accustomed to but the good points seem to outweigh them.
  • Movies on demand.
  • Much better buffet layout as well as more variety.
  • Decent size balconies mid-ship.
  • Now with mid ship elevators - all decks.

[/list]
f-mattox
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »

That's nice to hear, Rich; I had a mid-ship mini booked before I got the upsell offer for the suite.  I should have stuck with the mini. 
RichC
Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:38:10 AM »

That's nice to hear, Rich; I had a mid-ship mini booked before I got the upsell offer for the suite.  I should have stuck with the mini. 
I know you're not a big fan of the new ships.  Wink
We've had a mini & thought it wasn't worth the extra money. The bump out mid cabins offer the best value for us and we get a normal size balcony with a typical size room. If you get away from those bump out cabins the balcony shrinks dramatically.
It did take me a while to accept the new design.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: