Author Topic: How to avoid bad cabins  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
How to avoid bad cabins
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »

https://cruisefever.net/10-worst-cabins-on-cruises-how-to-avoid-bad-staterooms/

Editor:  First do a google search on the cabin you are considering.  Study deck plans above and below that cabin and read what past passengers have to say.  Try to avoid noise makers above, below and across the hall from your prospective cabin.  That said, I prefer wake views (without the Princess balcony beam) as well as the farthest back Princess Emerald mini-suite on the side of the ship that is opposite from the bandstand in the lounge below.  That cabin should have a larger balcony and is completely quiet.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: How to avoid bad cabins
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 05:57:13 AM »
What about the cabins on a particular ship that have been noted for lousy air conditioning?
I guess there's no hope for identifying them before booking.  :D
We've been burned three times on Princess over the years & I'd bet they haven't solved the problem in those cabins yet.  ;)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
How to avoid bad air conditioning
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
The cruise maintenance guys have a small device that plugs into the A/C wall control.  That device feeds data to a hand held device that tells the tech exactly what they need to know.  The tech can tweak the air damper setting which controls the cooling and heating in the cabin.  A good tech should be able to switch your cabin A/C damper from burning hot to freezing cold or vice versa.

Offline ccrain

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
We've been burned twice. Once on the Island, for a B2B2B and on the Diamond for a B2B2B. They could not adjust the temperature any more. The problem on the Diamond was no air flow and they gave up fixing it. (Got $1500 in future cruise credits for their inability to fix.) The problem on the Island couldn't be fixed either, but was tolerable - barely.

Keep a record of the temperature in the cabin (78 in the Diamond in the late afternoon until around midnight). Repeatedly request passenger services to fix. That creates a written record. Use that to file a formal complaint at the end of the cruise to corporate.

Other tips, pick a side of the ship that is not exposed to the sun in the afternoon. Example - LA to HI R/T - pick a port cabin. Even if you are interior, the heat load on the other cabins will decrease your A/C capacity. Pick a cabin away from the stairwells that go to exterior decks above. The constant opening and closing of access doors allows hotter external air into the stairwells and elevator shafts.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: How to avoid bad air conditioning
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
The cruise maintenance guys have a small device that plugs into the A/C wall control.  That device feeds data to a hand held device that tells the tech exactly what they need to know.  The tech can tweak the air damper setting which controls the cooling and heating in the cabin.  A good tech should be able to switch your cabin A/C damper from burning hot to freezing cold or vice versa.

We've gone that routine a few times & occasionally it'll help but if there's insufficient temperature of air flowing through the ducts it won't do a bit of good.
I even resorted to removing the deflector altogether & inserted some card board into the main duct to deflect more air into the room & still it was hot. There were many others in our section that also had the same problem.
Luckily they changed our cabin for the second leg.
No more old ships for us.....at least the newer designs have individual AC units for each cabin to supplement the AC from the duct work.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
Against my better judgement we decided to return to the Caribbean in March one more time before the beginning of the summer season on the Crown Princess. We selected an obstructed view cabin which isn't typical for us on Emerald deck.
I know there's no problem with the location but I've got my fingers crossed about the AC being sufficient. :-\
Time will tell.