Author Topic: ***U.S. Government debating whether to ban American's use of cruise ships***  (Read 88 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
However, a senior administration official said that top health department officials — including career scientists like NIH infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci and Trump appointees like Azar, CMS Administrator Seema Verma and Surgeon General Jerome Adams — "are in agreement that we need to do more” to crack down cruise ship travel. The official declined to specify the steps being considered, given the potential to affect financial markets.

Administration officials have debated whether to effectively ban Americans' use of cruise ships for the duration of the crisis, another individual said, which could include steps to limit cruise ships’ access to U.S. waters. Cruise industry officials, who met on Saturday with Vice President Mike Pence, are pursuing new self-imposed measures to protect passengers amid the outbreak, which could influence the White House response, one individual said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/09/azar-cruise-ship-shutdown-coronavirus-124645

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
I hope they apply this ruling to all forms of travel as well.
More people come into the US everyday on flights from many foreign countries that have incidents of the Coronavirus.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
All Sailings FULL STOP 60 days
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »
Princess Cruises will stop all operations for 2 months due to the coronavirus.
https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause.html

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
I guess this answers the question for all those people trying to decide if they should go or not.
We backed out after the first announcement & never thought twice about it.

My next big decision is whether or not to buy another 100 share of stock seeing that it's trading below $18. Somehow I think it'll snap back to a decent value in a few months.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
I guess this answers the question for all those people trying to decide if they should go or not.
We backed out after the first announcement & never thought twice about it.

My next big decision is whether or not to buy another 100 share of stock seeing that it's trading below $18. Somehow I think it'll snap back to a decent value in a few months.

I'm considering this also. Princess is 'owning' their involvment with this outbreak, while rightfully not claiming responsibility.
The OMG types are bailing, but the longer term outlook will reflect on this move by Princess (CCL) as an appropriate step
in securing confidence with the cruising public.
Personally, I'd peg the timeframe to be longer, but at $18 for CCL, it seems to signal buy.
The whole cruising market is going to be depressed, so this action isn't as radical as it first seems.... bookings are going to tank regardless,
but the 'public' will remember that Princess was first to go all-in on corrective action.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Funny thing is that the other cruise lines haven't made any decision to suspend operations, yet.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
Funny thing is that the other cruise lines haven't made any decision to suspend operations, yet.

Yet. Indeed.
Princess has chosen to make lemonade. As a PR move, its wise in the current environment. :(