Author Topic: Star Princess passenger hands off policy blamed on "turbulent waters"  (Read 39 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
"A couple days after the ship began its return voyage, I started noticing little things. The table with all of the coffee condiments — milk, cream, sugar and other sweeteners, paper napkins, stirrers, et cetera — was gone. At first I assumed it was because the sea had been rough and maybe staff had worried things would slip off the table and break. These items were now safely behind the coffee bar on Deck 5.

But the gentleman handing out the Americanos and lattes was now wearing blue, surgical-style gloves — and adding the cream and sugar to our coffees himself.

Later, in one of the elevators, a passenger shared the news that all of the utensils — pre-wrapped in cloth napkins and set on the table for the taking in the buffet area — were gone. And the staff was now serving passengers in the buffet area. People were no longer allowed to serve themselves. Of course, I had to head up to Deck 14 to check out the buffet situation for myself.
It was true — and some passengers started to ask questions. From a server, the answer was basically the same: The company was taking precautions to protect the passengers. The area where you could serve yourself coffee, tea and water was cordoned off. The beverages were now served by the staff.

At lunch that day in one of the dining rooms, most of the usual table trappings were missing. Gone were the salt and pepper shakers, utensils, butter dishes and baskets of bread. The servers now handed out the rolls and salted your salads, mashed potatoes and other food items.

At that point, the coronavirus was all the talk on the ship. A couple sitting next to me near the coffee bar one morning had a debate about why the coffee condiments were behind the bar. The man said he thought it was because of the turbulent waters. The woman kind of brushed him off and said, "If that’s what you want to believe.”

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/health/2020/03/10/coronavirus-aboard-star-princess-cruise-ship-fears-rising/5008285002/

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Star Princess passenger hands off policy blamed on "turbulent waters"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 04:19:00 PM »
"A couple days after the ship began its return voyage, I started noticing little things. The table with all of the coffee condiments — milk, cream, sugar and other sweeteners, paper napkins, stirrers, et cetera — was gone. At first I assumed it was because the sea had been rough and maybe staff had worried things would slip off the table and break. These items were now safely behind the coffee bar on Deck 5.

But the gentleman handing out the Americanos and lattes was now wearing blue, surgical-style gloves — and adding the cream and sugar to our coffees himself.

Later, in one of the elevators, a passenger shared the news that all of the utensils — pre-wrapped in cloth napkins and set on the table for the taking in the buffet area — were gone. And the staff was now serving passengers in the buffet area. People were no longer allowed to serve themselves. Of course, I had to head up to Deck 14 to check out the buffet situation for myself.
It was true — and some passengers started to ask questions. From a server, the answer was basically the same: The company was taking precautions to protect the passengers. The area where you could serve yourself coffee, tea and water was cordoned off. The beverages were now served by the staff.

At lunch that day in one of the dining rooms, most of the usual table trappings were missing. Gone were the salt and pepper shakers, utensils, butter dishes and baskets of bread. The servers now handed out the rolls and salted your salads, mashed potatoes and other food items.

At that point, the coronavirus was all the talk on the ship. A couple sitting next to me near the coffee bar one morning had a debate about why the coffee condiments were behind the bar. The man said he thought it was because of the turbulent waters. The woman kind of brushed him off and said, "If that’s what you want to believe.”

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/health/2020/03/10/coronavirus-aboard-star-princess-cruise-ship-fears-rising/5008285002/

You mean to tell me that they now don't have any more individual sugar & salt packs?