Author Topic: The first sailing of the Majestic Princess - Not a good report  (Read 165 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
The first sailing of the Majestic Princess - Not a good report
« on: October 26, 2021, 08:39:03 PM »
"This first California sailing of Majestic Princess from Los Angeles is at about 39% capacity. The ship can carry more than 3,500 passengers; there are roughly 1,400 on board. Of the usual 1,346 crew, we’re told approximately 1,200 are on board.

Food has been just average in most places, with standouts being the Crown Grill steakhouse and Harmony Asian eatery (more below). The most disappointing, by far, is the ship’s World Fresh Marketplace buffet. A large section of it is closed (likely due to the reduced capacity and the extra crew needed to serve the food at each station), and although there are still many tasty items from which to choose, a lot of the food simply missed the mark: dry, tasteless hash browns and rock-hard English muffin sandwiches at breakfast, vegetables with rotten spots at lunch and dry cupcakes at the dessert station.

Service has been excellent and friendly, with only a couple of minor issues, such as lag times between ordering and the delivery of our first course at dinner, and 45-minute waits for drinks ordered through the line’s OceanMedallion app, which is designed to make the onboard experience more seamless. (Some of the features are wonky for sure — so far, I haven’t been able to get the food ordering bit to work — but I’m obsessed with my medallion’s ability to automatically unlock my cabin door as I approach.)"

https://thepointsguy.com/news/majestic-princess-first-cruise-from-california/

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
The food in the Majestic Princess main dining rooms was lacking
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:02:58 PM »
"Main Dining Room Food: Unlike the ship's extra-charge specialty restaurants, the food in the main dining rooms was lacking."

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6512/

Offline pizano

• First Officer
    • View Profile
Re: The first sailing of the Majestic Princess - Not a good report
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
One can only imagine the WAIT time for a drink if 45 minutes is required at 1/3 capacity.  I believe the Medallion needs to go the way of the dodo, with only the .net worth.  The App is awful there are major problems and for many simply time consuming and not worth the effort.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 07:19:37 AM »
We've never used the app on any ship other than for unlocking the cabin door or purchases in a shop.
I just tried loading the info in the app for a March trip & had the same problems as I did in 2019.
I though they would have had the time to get it working properly by now.
If it doesn't load properly at home I can't imaging how it would work on the ship.  ???

They should have gotten rid of the IT outfit that designed the medallion & started over from scratch.
II thought it was supposed to contact trace people in case of a covid outbreak? If ordering a meal of drink isn't working I doubt if the more important function of tracking would either.

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 05:42:01 PM »
The new Princess president was involved with the Medallion development.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 05:33:26 AM »
It didn't work properly in 2019 and from my experience in trying to get the medallion app to populate properly for my March trip I don't think they've fixed it yet.....we'll see.

What is really disappointing is the reports about the food. That's inexcusable.
Some of my friends having just returned from a HAL cruise were very satisfied with everything.