Author Topic: Post Grand class vessels  (Read 1538 times)

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
Post Grand class vessels
« on: January 11, 2024, 12:28:53 PM »
Almost, well every cruise I have been on has been on a Grand Class vessel, or older. Inevitably I will have opportunities to sail on newer vessels. This topic is to solicit the experience and opinions of those who've sailed newer vessels. Information as to cabin selection, deck and cabin layouts, theater seating, alternative restaurants and the like are all welcome. It would be nice to initiate the next page in cruising with the sage words of experienced cruisers. Please chime in. What you know is always of greater value than you think.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Post Grand class vessels
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 05:33:52 AM »
While we won't return to the grand class ships any longer- just to many problems with them that we don't need. We'll be waiting to a chance to sail on the new Sun class out of Florida, perhaps in the fall of 2024.

We've come to enjoy the better layout, food selections & shows on the newer ships and don't care about the itinerary at all since we've covered all the islands on the Caribbean many time over. I've been surprised at the number of people who choose to say on the ship at many of the ports just to enjoy the ships atmosphere when the majority rush off to see the sights.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 10:01:17 AM »
You mention better layout. Is there a specific vessel that comes to mind?

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:08:02 AM »
When I said layout I meant layout of the buffet area. It's so much nicer on the Royal class ships where you have room to maneuver around. Plus they have the capability to prepare multiple main courses + numerous side dishes. A little something for everyone. Wear as on the Ruby there's usually only one main item as a center attraction. Also on the Ruby they'll be minimal desserts offered at the buffet, which I usually skipped. 

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 10:20:47 AM »
Perhaps the best way to experience this is to just dive in, and book. The Grand class does have peculiarities that 'tag' the age and design choices. Much has  changed with larger vessels, lessons learned, and managing the flow of people.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 10:25:03 AM »
Yet there are some features of the newer ship that don't appeal to some folks.....like the promenade deck. It's not something that attracts me, yet there are some who can't like without it.