Author Topic: Princess Cruises adds 65% to the price of its individual WiFi package  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
"The price for a single-device WiFi now stands at $24.99 per day, a steep rise of around 65% from the previous price of $14.99 per person per day.

For a four-device package, the price increase is not that significant but still sits at around 12.5% at $44.99 per package, up from $39.99. This change is set to affect pre-cruise purchases made after January 22, 2024. From January 31, the onboard price of internet packages will also increase."

https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-makes-a-significant-price-increase/121550

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Cruises adds 65% to the price of its individual WiFi package
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 09:20:12 PM »
It's already rather expensive. Now at over $400 for a two week cruise, (with the 50 percent platinum/elite discount).

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:05:54 PM »
This is my little hotel and cruise travel friend.  GL.iNet GL-AXT1800.  A bit hard to configure but when it works it's gold.  What the device does is communicate with captive portals.  The process is you connect to the hotel/ship log in web page as a single device AFTER you've first connected your WiFi device(s) to the travel router's WiFi.    The travel router translates the data from the hotel/ship WiFi to your own private local area network (LAN).  BTW the hotel/ship network may not like you using a VPN to hide your location (Hello movie streaming services).  They may also not like you hogging their precious bandwidth.

I set up my router's LAN with the same login as my home LAN.  That way I can bring along my little Wyze security WiFi camera.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 10:45:16 AM by Host Mike »

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
These prices are PER DAY
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 05:16:49 PM »
For $44.99 a day, four devices can connect to Princess’ onboard Wi-Fi for the entire voyage, 13% more than the old rate of $39.99. Those who need single-day access for up to 4 devices will pay $54.99, marking a 38% increase from the former daily rate of $39.99.
Number of Devices, Duration   Old Prices (Daily)   New Prices (Daily)   Percentage Increase
1 device, full voyage    $14.99   $24.99   67%
1 device, single day      $19.99   $29.99   50%
4 devices, full voyage   $39.99   $44.99   13%
4 devices, single day   $39.99   $54.99   38%   

https://cruiseradio.net/princess-cruises-wifi-price-increase-2024/

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 05:07:29 AM »
With this latest increase we've decided that we can live without the internet.  ;)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 04:21:14 PM »
"The increased costs are designed to make it financially unwise to buy only an internet plan. Under the Princess Plus package, for instance, guests can pay about $60 per day for a plan that covers not only unlimited WiFi but also beverages, crew gratuities, specialty dining, room service, fitness classes, and other services and perks.

Any guest booked to sail who has already pre-paid for an internet plan will not be charged the new rates. Internet services onboard Princess Cruises’ ships, like most others in the industry, now use Starlink satellites from SpaceX, which provide much faster access than previous services."

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-news-update-princess-cruises-hikes-and-delay-ncl-carnival/121954

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 04:41:54 PM »
"However, Princess Cruises is not changing the price of their Princess Plus ($60 per day) and Princess Premier ($80 per day) packages. This makes them an even better deal now than they were before.

The Princess Plus package includes WiFi for one device, the Plus Beverage Package (drinks up to $15), daily gratuities, premium desserts, fitness classes, free room service, free OceanNow delivery, and two casual dining meals per guest.

When you factor in daily gratuities (crew appreciation) and WiFi for one device, this package is only $20 more a day and includes free drinks and other perks that I just listed.

The Princess Premier package is $20 more per day than Princess Plus and includes the same perks with the addition of drinks up to $20, a photo package, Princess Prizes, two specialty dining meals per guest, reserved theater seating, and unlimited casual dining meals."

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-line-raising-wifi-prices-by-up-to-67-per-day/

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 07:26:30 PM »
"The price for a single-device WiFi now stands at $24.99 per day, a steep rise of around 65% from the previous price of $14.99 per person per day.

For a four-device package, the price increase is not that significant but still sits at around 12.5% at $44.99 per package, up from $39.99. This change is set to affect pre-cruise purchases made after January 22, 2024. From January 31, the onboard price of internet packages will also increase."

https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-makes-a-significant-price-increase/121550

We have witnessed this first hand. Bought a 4 device package for R408, and again for R409 on the Ruby. Two different prices. I told my DW about your travel router idea, and I'm considering this for the future.