Author Topic: How passengers react to OceanMedallion technology  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
How passengers react to OceanMedallion technology
« on: February 01, 2024, 02:19:20 PM »
"Princess Cruises has made the OceanMedallion the cornerstone of its cruising experience."

https://www.travelweekly.com/On-The-Record/Princess-Cruises-John-Padgett

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: How passengers react to OceanMedallion technology
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 08:58:04 AM »
Q: If I drop my Medallion in a port, can someone else use it? Have you had issues with that?

A: If we have, it's so miniscule that I don't even know about it. ... Every merchant, if there's any issue, can do triple-factor authentication because they have the security photos associated with you participating in the service; you have the physical object, that's two-factor. When you go into port destinations, all guests are advised to carry a picture government ID, even if it's a U.S. location. And so that can be a triple authentication if the merchant wants to do so.

That might be true off the ship for lost medallions but they still haven't fixed the flaw for medallions lost on the ship. They can be used for entry into the cabin until you report it lost. Also the cabin location can be found by going to any of the display boards located around the ship.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 11:48:13 AM »
True enough. Medallion loss on the ship is a real risk and potential liability. But it's likely here to stay.⁵

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 05:08:36 PM »
I have no problem with using the Medallion system and enjoy all of it's features, except the purchase of items at a vendor off the ship. To me it just invites a possible problem with billing and definitely paying extra to Princess to luxury of using the feature.