Author Topic: F*** Princess Cruise Lines sign posted by previous Arctic Bar owner in Ketchikan  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
"This sometimes-adversarial relationship between locals and tourists isn’t new though. Weisel recalls when she first bought the bar. Her first act of business was removing a sign that the previous owner, Larry Buster Sr., had hung from the back deck. The sign was on full display when cruise ships pulled into port. And it said: “F*** Princess Cruise Lines.”

“As soon as the paperwork was done, I said I gotta go get something on the deck,” Weisel laughs. “And Larry said ‘No! The sign that I made that says, F*** Princess Cruise Lines?’ And sure enough, I come off the deck and I have that sign. You might as well shoot yourself in the foot, Larry, to have that sign out there. I just bought the bar. I’m sorry. I mean, come on. Times change. It had to go.”

Weisel says she gets it though.  “A lot of locals, the really devout locals, they know what day is the slowest for the cruise ships every year. That’s the only day they come and get mail. I mean, some people just do not like the tourism, and I understand. I’m not going to push it down their throat, I get it.”

https://www.krbd.org/2023/12/28/paula-weisel-on-enduring-and-changing-in-ketchikan/