Author Topic: Princess to ensure that your food portion size will be an "appropriate" quantity  (Read 225 times)

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
"Specifically, Kohen said, “Careful menu planning to ensure that ingredients are used efficiently and portion sizes are appropriate.” Additionally, the team is constantly “Reviewing data to understand how guests are ordering their food and when, to help us produce appropriate quantities.”

https://foodsided.com/posts/princess-cruises-implements-practical-and-innovative-ways-to-minimize-food-waste-01hw08jxkvt4

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if the new way of serving food on the Sun Princess buffet will mean smaller portions or just force people to go through the line more times.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
What is different on the Sun? We're booked in the fall for a 19 day hop, first time on the Sun for us.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
The only thing different that I see is that in the buffet area the food is served rather than self service. It might result in smaller sized portions.
I still prefer to serve myself so I can take only a small amount of interesting things and if I like it go back for a regular size amount.
If I'm serviced a large amount of something I don't care for, it goes in the garbage.
We'll have to see in Nov.
First time for us also.

Offline obendus

• Staff Captain
    • View Profile
Must be some executives idea of a cost cutter. I concur, that serving too much of any item is going to generate waste, especially since one can take a little, and go to the buffet again if desired. Although there is one thing... I witnessed a guy with a 'dewdrop' on the end of his beak which he wiped with his hand, and then proceeded to grab a communal set of tongs. Got me thinking I'll be carrying a tiny bottle of sanitizer from now on.

Offline RichC

• Commodore
    • View Profile
We pretty much eliminate most of the people with nasty habits by by getting to the food when they open for service.
Mainly lunch at 11:30 and a few dinners every now and then.

Offline Host Mike

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Princess Only
I'm expecting that the head chef will be given a very tight daily food budget per passenger and a smaller daily food budget per crew member.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that day's remaining food being recycled in the buffet the next day.  Head chefs are known to receive generous bonuses for meeting and exceeding corporate food budget benchmarks.